After the land has been selected the owner should consult a learned astrologer to find out and auspicious time (muhurat) to start the construction of the house which would bring him health, wealth, prosperity and good fortune. Generally construction of house, temple, palaces (Raj Bhawan), city etc. should not be stared or first entry (grah-pravesh) should not be accomplished during the period Ashadh Shukla to Kartik Shikla , when gods are asleep (Dev Shayan). Muhurat (auspicious times) for construction of house or starting the work have been given in the Panchangs. Astrologers have expressed their own different views about starting the construction work. According to Vasturaj Vallabh, Leo constellation (singhasth), Vyatipat, Vaidhriti, Dagdhtithi, Guru 9Jupiter), Shukra (Venus) when set, weak moon, Rikta tithi (4/9/14) are not auspicious for starting house construction work or any other good and auspicious work. Some scholars are of the opinion that if Jupiter or Venus are set (Tara) it doesn't matter.
Given below are the sun Sankranties during which if construction work is started it gives varied results:
1. Sun in the Aries (Mesh) Rashi 14 April to 13 May-very good.
2. Sun in the Taurus (Vrish) Rashi 14 May to 13 June-increase in wealth
3. Sun is in Gemini (Mithun) Rashi 14 June to 13 July-Death
4. Sun is in cancer (Kark) Rashi 14 July to 13 August-very good
5. Sun is in Leo (Singh) Rashi 14 August to 13 September - increase in number of servants.
6. Sun is in Virgo (Kanya) Rashi 14 September to 13 October -Diseases
7. Sun is in Libra (Tula) Rashi 14 October to 13 November - Happiness/comforts
8. Sun is in Scorpio (Vrishchik) Rashi 14 November to 13 December - Increase in Wealth.
9. Sun is in Saggitarius (Dhanu) Rashi 14 Dec. to 13 January-loss
10. Sun is in Capricorn (Makar) Rashi 14 Jan. to 13 February-gain of wealth.
11. Sun is in Aquarius (Kumbh) Rashi 14 Feb. to 13 March-gain of Jewels
12. Sun is in Pisces (Meen) Rashi 14 March to 13 April-Fear.
Therefore the 3rd, 6th, 9th and 12th i.e., Mithun (Gemini), Vigro (Kanya), Saggitarius (Dhanu) and Pisces (Meen) Rashies are not suitable and auspicious for starting house construction, and the work should not be started during the period sun is in these Rashis.
According to VAASTU Shastra, digging of the foundation is prohibited in the following months:
1) Chaitra (March-April): If digging starts in these months, the owner faces great hardships. First entry into the home with a purpose of living is also prohibited during this period.
2) Jyeshtha (June): If the digging starts in this month, the planets become unfavourable for the owner. First entry is also prohibited.
3) Asharh (July): If the digging is started in this month, the owner suffers the loss of animal stock.
4) Shravana (August): If digging is started in this month, the owner suffers loss of wealth.
5) Bhaadrapad (September): Digging in this month leads to quarrels at home.
6) Ashwin (October): Digging leads to fallilial disputes in the home.
7) Kartik (November): If digging is started in this month, servants and subordinates run away.
8) Magh (February): Owner has to face the danger of fire in his home, if digging starts in this month.
Following months, however, are considered auspicious to start digging of foundation:
1) Baishakh (May): The owner gets unprecedented benefits if digging is started in this month.
2) Margshirsh (December): The owner obtains wealth if the digging starts in this month. This month is also auspicious to make first entry in the home.
3) Paush (January): Owners gets wealth if the digging starts in this month also.
4) Phalgun (March): All the desires of the owner are fulfilled if the digging starts in this month.
Among the months, Baishakh, Shravan, Margshirsh Magh and Falgun are good for the work. Bhadrapad and Kartik are also normally permissible.
Construction work should be started on the dates (tithis) 2,3,5,6,7,10,11,12,13,15 and the 1st of Krishna Paksha (dark fortnight).
Prohibited date - Starting the construction work on the dates 1,4,8,9,14 and 30 (Amavas) brings Poverty, loss of wealth, loss of money, death of wife, fear from the rulers. Therefore work should not be started on these dates.
Constellations - The Nakshatras Rohini, Mrigshira, Chitra, Hast, Swati, Anuradha, Uttarashdah, Uttar Bhadrapad, Uttar Falguni, Dhanshtha, Shatbhisha, Revati are good for starting the house construction work.
Lagna - Aries, Gemini, Leo, Virgo, Scorpio, Aquarius, and Pisces Lagna, when it is not Panchban and it is not the period of Bhoomi Shayan, and there is some beneficial planet in the centre and triangle positions, and the eighth house is beneficial when there are cruel planets in 3rd, 6th and 11th houses; such periods are good for auspicious starting of the construction work.
Bhoomi Shayan - On the days of constellations 5/7/9/12/19/26 from the constellation in which sun is situated the earth is 'sleeping' (Bhoomi Shayan) and on these days also during the 4/8/5/3//6/7 Ghati it is so; in remaining Ghatis it is not Bhoomi Shayan.
Bhoomi Shayan defect (Dosh) is there on the 5/7/9/11/15/20/22/23/28th day from the solar Sankranti according to some astrologers, and others take it only on 7/9/15/21 and 24th day.
Days - Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday are good days to start construction work. On Sunday or Tuesday starting the work should be avoided.
Consideration of Yoga
On a particular day, date, and during a particular Nakshatra, a particular conjuction or conjugation of day and date or day, date and Nakshatra results. One such conjugation, known as Amrityoga, is extremely auspicious for making maiden entry. One must avoid making maiden entry during Dagdh Yoga, Mrityu Yoga and Yamaghant. Apart from these, maiden entry is auspicious except during the five Ghati of Shoolyoga, half-part of Paridhyoga, six Ghati of Atiganda Yoga and nine Ghati of Vyaghrat Yoga. Maiden entry is totally prohibited during the entire period of Mritu Yoga, Vyatipat and Vaghriti Yoga.
Vishisht Yoga (Special combinations) have also been described for the start of house construction. The combination of seven Sakar (starting with 'S' Viz. Saturday, Swati nakshatra, Singh (Leo) Lagna Shukla Paksha (Moonlit fortnight), Seventh tithi, Shubh yoga and Shravan month, is very good for starting the work of a house. It will fetch to the owner growth of all wealth and fortune along with the gain of conveyance, wealth and prosperity, sons and grandsons etc.
Shani swati singh lagan shukla parkshascha saptami
Shubh yoga sharawanshcha sakarasapt kirtitah.
House construction is not allowed in singh (Leo) Lagna, it should not be started in this Lagna alone, but if the above combination is there with Singh Lagna starting of the work is auspicious as per vaastu shastra.
House construction started in Shukla Paksha brings happiness, while that in Krishna Paksha it brings loss as per vastu.
Therefore it is better to start the construction work after well consideration of the Shukla or Krishna Paksha as per vaastu.
Auspicious good time should be selected for starting the work of a house. A learned astrologer should be consulted because by doing so the construction work will go on smoothly, there will be no hindrances or problems, work will be completed soon successfully. Often it has been observed that if the work is started without caring for the auspicious moment, the work has to be stopped in between due to financial difficulties or other problems and is left incomplete. Not only financial loss, it brings loss of mental peace also. Therefore house construction work must be started after full consideration specially if the above mentioned facts are cared for, the work will be auspicious, successful and fruitful.
It is extremely necessary to worship the land before the construction work starts. At any place after digging up to one foot if we find bones and filthy rubbish, hair etc. they should be removed. Baisakh, Shravan, Margshirsh and Falgun these four months are auspicious for the worship of the land.
Auspiciousness and inauspiciousness of the Auspicious (opportune) Moment.
* As far as possible the auspicious (opportune) moment should not coincide with the extra month (Adhik Mas), the zero month, the lunar month and the sunset.
* Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday should be avoided.
* Monday and Thursday are very auspicious.
* The auspicious (opportune) moment should not fall in the pregnancy state after the seventh month of any lady in the house.
* Auspicious (opportune) moment should not fall during the mensis period of any lady.
* The auspicious (opportune) moment should not fall in Hadpaksha, mourning period. Divaskarma (performing rituals relating to dates) and Shraadha ceremony (religious rites after the death of a person). If the auspicious (opportune) moment falls in Jaishth or Aashadh, Sickness or unnecessary increase in expenditure results.
* If the auspicious (opportune) moment falls in Bhadrapad or Ashwin month, expenditure increases unnecessarily and the situation becomes tense for no reason.
* If the auspicious (opportune) moment is celebrated in the month of Kartik, Paush or Magh the construction is delayed. There is also a possibility of theft of the building material. Some provoking incidents take place. If there is a conjunction of auspicious stars in the sky at the auspicious (opportune) moment it gives good results. In this age of science even well known and highly qualified people start their new enterprises at the auspicious moment. The worship of the land should be done in the east or the north-east corner of the plot at the opportune moment.
AUSPICIOUS MOMENTS TO MAKE FIRST ENTRY
A human being spends most of his time at home. If the home is auspicious, the man can pass his life peacefully. Hence auspicious moments (Muhurts) have extraordinary importance in astrology. Without an auspicious moment, no work is beneficial. Hence it is extremely important to consider an auspicious moment before making first entry into the newly built home.
Nakshatras like Rohini, Mrigshirsh, Pushya, Chitra, Anuradha, Revati, Ashwini, Punarvasu, Hasta, Swati, Shravan, Dhanishtha, Shatabhisha and all the three Uttara (Phalguni, Asarh and Bhadrapada) are considered auspicious for the maiden entry.
2,3,5,6,8,10,11,12,13 of the brighter phase and 1,2,3,5,7,8,10,11,12 and 13 of the darker phase are auspicious.